Itinerary 2: 10 Day Tasmania and Bruny Island Escape
Start location: Launceston
End location: Hobart
Where will you go? Launceston > Tamar Valley > Freycinet National Park > Hobart > Bruny Island
What’s great about this itinerary?
A fantastic introduction to Tasmania’s “must see” destinations, as well as a three-day luxury camping and walking experience on Bruny Island. Read on for the highlights!
- Charm-filled Launceston, a boutique riverside town with Colonial and Victorian heritage buildings in abundance.
- A guided wine tour through the Tamar Valley, the oldest wine region in Tasmania.
- Freycinet National Park – a hike up to the Wineglass Bay lookout point is very rewarding for those with the stamina! Plus a relaxed guided kayaking tour is included to really make the most of your time in this gorgeous destination.
- Hobart is a gorgeous place to wander and get lost in, From the bustling waterfront of Salamanca Place to the historic houses of quaint Battery Point.
- Southwest Wilderness Experience – an epic day trip to Tasmania’s untouched southwest, which includes two scenic flights, Bathurst Harbour cruise, a walking tour and gourmet lunch with delicious Tasmanian produce.
- And the pièce de résistance of your Tasmania self-drive itinerary, a three-day Bruny Island private walking tour, with coastal walks, luxury camping and exquisite meals.
You will love the combination of part self-drive, part private guided walking tour on this ideal Tasmania itinerary. With 3 – 6 hours of walking per day on Bruny Island, you will enjoy easy graded walks alongside the coast – maybe even try to spot some of Bruny Island’s 150 species of birds!
What makes the award-winning Bruny Island walk so special is access to Bruny’s lesser-known gems. After traversing headlands where the next stop is Antarctica, visit a local oyster farm and shuck an oyster as pristine waters swirl about your ankles. Finally, retreat back to camp, built completely off-the-grid, with luxury in mind.
Tweak this itinerary...
For art enthusiasts and culture buffs: Mona, the Museum of Old and New Art is located just up the river from Hobart, you can drive there but we highly recommend taking the ferry from downtown. Mona's subterranean architecture showcases the highlights of David Walsh’s $110m private collection of art and antiquities, as well as hosting a busy exhibitions program.
For history lovers: Port Arthur is a small town and former convict settlement on the Tasman Peninsula, which you can visit as a day trip from Hobart. Port Arthur is one of Australia's most significant heritage areas and the open-air museum is officially Tasmania's top tourist attraction.
Read the full 10 Day Tasmania and Bruny Island Escape Itinerary for in-depth descriptions, plus driving times and distances, and information about the Bruny Island walking tour.
Splash out on a Tasmania luxury lodge holiday
Get a true taste of Tasmania with this 10 day luxury self-drive tour with a perfect balance of adventure and relaxation. Explore Hobart, Launceston and the national parks of Cradle Mountain and Freycinet, whilst staying at world class accommodations.
If you want something secluded, exclusive and more than a little special, this luxury lodge holiday itinerary is for you.